The flower of November is the lovely chrysanthemums. This beauty of November is one of the most popular flower in Ukraine; second only to the rose. Chrysanthemums look fantastic both as live plants and in fresh cut bouquets. We hope this article inspires you to share this wonderful gift to your loved ones in Ukraine!
Chrysanthemums: these lovely flowers symbolize joy, optimism and faithfulness. Chrysanthemum, also known as “mums” or “chrysanths”, originated from China. The name “chrysanthemum” comes from the Ancient Greek word “chrysos" meaning gold, and “anthemon” meaning flower. Though originally chrysanthemums used to be yellow, later on different colours and shades became available.
Fun Facts about Chrysanthemums:
- In Ukraine chrysanthemums are available in a wide range of colors: dark red, yellow, shades of orange, white and purple. With each color having its own meaning:
- The best selection of chrysanthemums in Ukraine can be found from early October to late November.
- Chrysanthemums are the flower of choice to give on a 13th wedding anniversary.
- Though in Ukraine we consider chrysanthemums to symbolize love and tenderness. France, Italy and Spain consider chrysanthemum as a symbol of death and it is inevitable part of funeral bouquets.
- Chrysanthemum flower is used in preparation of tea that has beautiful aroma and several health benefits. Chrysanthemum tea is very popular and is used as relaxant and to relieve sore throat, fever, headache and dry eyes.
- Boiled leaves and stem of chrysanthemum are used in Chinese cuisine.
- Korean chrysanthemum flowers are used to add flavor to wine known as Gukhwaju.
- A study by NASA found that chrysanthemum plants helped reduce indoor air pollution
- Chrysanthemum flower can stay up to for 2 weeks in a vase.
- Both the Chinese and Japanese consider chrysanthemums a powerful emblem of youth. A petal placed in the bottom of a glass of wine is thought to enhance longevity. The Chinese also believe that it prevents gray hair.
- The official flower of the city of Chicago is the chrysanthemum.
- In China chrysanthemums are considered a symbol of stateliness and are a popular topic of many of the country’s poets.
As Chrysanthemums are considered to be the the symbol of devotion and fidelity, they can make a great romantic gift idea for people who are far away from each other.
Popular as monobouquets they also look great in complex bouquets combined with other flowers. Experienced florists can create a unique bouquet emphasizing the beauty of chrysanthemums so that they last for a long time and bring happiness to people you love.