Is your friend or loved one birthday in May? What a lucky one! The May birth flower is the most delicate and romantic Peony. Represented in 33 species the Chinese name for Peony is sho yu which means “most beautiful”.
The stunning Peony is a symbol of romance, welfare and human kindness. With its full, rounded bloom, it is also regarded as a sign of fortunate destiny.
Etymological Meaning of the Peony Flower
The Peony takes its name from the mythological Greek character Paeon, who studied with the god of medicine known as Asclepius. Zeus had to transform the student into a beautiful flower when he showed more promise than his teacher and incurred his wrath.
Peony Color Meanings
Peonies come in a wide range of colors, and the meaning the flower symbolizes depends on the shade. There are main colors with their meanings:
• Pink: The most romantic form of Peony, making it the ideal color for wedding bouquets and table arrangements, symbolizing good luck and prosperity.
• White: Is a sophisticate choice representing femality and pureness.
• Pale Pink: Makes a good choice for communicating your regret over embarrassing yourself or someone else.
• Deep Red: Is a symbol of love and passion. This beautiful flower is also a symbol of honor and respect, which are especially important in China.
The Peony is better to gift when:
• you are in love, since Peony means Romance and Romantic Love with a particular focus on love between two strangers.
• you want to remind of Beauty in all forms to any special person in your life.
• you want to give Honor or celebrate their Success.
• you want to wish Wealth and Prosperity.
• you celebrate the 12th wedding anniversary.
• you want to tell her “ You are the most beautiful”.
The season for Peonies is always so short and wonderful and, of course, they are incredibly gorgeous so it’s easy to see why the peony flower always makes its mark. Don’t hesitate to gift peonies separately or mix them with other blooms to share your love and happy wishes with others.